You deserve a safe and happy holiday. Unfortunately, the holiday period traditionally sees an increase in crime, and we urge everybody to double check their security measures to help ensure a stress-free holiday.
It is important that you test your electronic security systems (alarm, electric fence, beams, batteries and CCTV) on a regular basis with the 24/7 Command Centre. Panic button tests should be conducted on a monthly basis out of peak hours.
Walk the perimeter of your property and inspect all fences, gates and walls. Ensure that there are no weak spots where criminals can gain entry. Ensure that foliage is cut back and does not interfere with the electric fence. Overhanging branches can provide access for criminals.
Doors and Windows
Ensure that all doors and windows are securely closed and locked before you leave the property – this includes outbuildings and garages. Ensure that rusty locks are replaced and that burglar bars are secure.
Criminals are wary of well-lit properties. Ensure that you have good outdoor lighting that switches on at night. Motion sensor lights are always a good investment.
Tell a Neighbour
Ask neighbours to keep an eye on your property and to report any suspicious activity. Neighbours can also assist with collecting mail, newspapers and removing empty bins and recycling bags.
Out and About
- Know where your children are at all times and do not leave children unattended or without adult supervision.
- Avoid wearing expensive-looking jewellery when out and about, and please stay off your cell phone when in a public space – it makes you an easy target for criminals.
- Be aware of your surroundings and suspicious people when visiting an ATM or conducting cash transactions.
- When shopping or visiting a restaurant, keep your handbag close to you and your cell phone out of sight.
- If you suspect that you are being followed, proceed to your nearest police station.