Thefts are either smash-and-grab related, or break-ins into stationary vehicles.
Generally, thieves target items such as:
- purses, handbags and wallets
- laptop bags and briefcases
- shopping bags
- gym bags
- cell phones and tablets
Advice on preventing smash-and-grabs:
Even though it is not always possible to avoid the hotspots where criminals prey on unsuspecting motorists, it is possible to reduce the risk of becoming a smash-and-grab victim.
- Don’t leave items on the seats, floor or anywhere in the vehicle where they can be seen.
- Lock all your doors and close the windows when driving.
- Avoid opening your windows or getting involved in discussions with street vendors or anyone handing out flyers.
- Constantly be on the lookout for suspicious-looking characters.
- Always be conscious of your surroundings and remain alert when coming to an intersection or stopping your vehicle.
- Be wary of people loitering at intersections.
Safety when parking:
- Thieves target car parks – always park your car in attended parking lots.
- When parking at night, ensure that you always park in a well-lit area.
- Never sit in your vehicle without being conscious of your surroundings.
- Lock your doors and roll up your windows when you park.
- When arriving at a destination, refrain from openly placing valuables in the vehicle’s boot – criminals are often watching for easy targets.