- Lock doors, switch lights on and activate beams the moment it starts getting dark.
- Ensure that garages and garden shed doors are locked at night.
- Criminals don’t want to be seen – motion detection lights are a good choice for lighting up dark outdoor areas.
- Ensure that outdoor lights are not left on during the day. It usually indicates that nobody is home for a prolonged period of time, and criminals scouting for a target will immediately notice.
- If you are travelling, motion detection lights or lights with day/night sensors are good options.
- Ensure that your driveway is well lit and clear of shrubbery where criminals can hide.
- Keep flashlights and extra batteries in your home and car in case of an emergency.
- Test your electric fence and panic alarms regularly.
Running and Cycling
Reduced daylight affects most people’s exercise schedules. Pay special attention to
your personal safety when exercising in low light.
- Wear light coloured clothing with reflective detailing. Always ensure that you are visible from the front and the back so that both directions of traffic can see you.
- Wear a headlamp and runner lights – they will make you more visible and help you see in the dark.
- Stick to well-lit routes as far as possible to reduce your risk of tripping.
- When running in poor light, always run against the traffic so you can see any potential dangers coming. You’re much more likely to be able to get out the way quickly of cars or road users if you can see them first.
- Be aware of headlights – if you see flashes of light coming round a corner or a busy road, avoid crossing until the vehicle has passed.
- There is a certain amount of safety in numbers – exercise with a friend or in a group.
- Always tell somebody where you are going and be specific regarding routes and directions.
- Carry some form of identification on you so that any bystanders will know who you are and who to contact in case of an emergency. Most exercise gear has small pockets for this very reason.
- Refrain from carrying your cell phone and other valuables while exercising – these items make you a target for criminals.